YOU ARE HERE: HeraldMail HomeCollectionsMctc

Woman charged with aiding escape

April 24, 2000


A Hagerstown woman who police allege drove an escapee away from the Maryland Correctional Training Center in March was arrested and being held without bond Monday.

Tammy Marie Carter, 33, of 211 Buena Vista Ave., was charged with first-degree escape and conspiracy to commit first-degree escape.

A District Court commissioner denied bond. Carter was being held in the Washington County Detention Center Monday night pending a bond review today.

Charging documents allege that inmate George Malcolm Brown, 34, was picked up in a white van after he walked away from a fueling station outside the MCTC fence south of Hagerstown just before 8 a.m. on March 8.


Brown was serving a 10-year sentence for armed robbery in Baltimore.

Brown was driven away from the medium-security prison on back roads through Washington County and dropped off in the Winchester, Va., area, charging documents said.

As the pair drove away from the prison, Brown took off his MCTC-issued sweatshirt and threw it out of the van on Fairplay Road. Carter later took police to the spot where the sweatshirt had been found, charging documents allege.

Brown made it to Florida, where he spent more than 20 days before being recaptured by police when he attempted to obtain a driver's license using false identification, authorities have said.

He ran from police and attempted to carjack two cars, both driven by men in their 80s, authorities have said. He was shot in the hip and abdomen before being apprehended.

Brown had been scheduled to be released from prison in September.

Police suspected early in their investigation that Carter was involved in Brown's escape, Maryland State Police Trooper 1st Class Michael S. Potter said.

After he was apprehended in Florida, Brown told police Carter had driven him away from the prison, charging documents allege.

Brown had given Carter a handwritten letter telling her what do the morning he fled the prison, according to charging documents.

Carter had visited Brown for months prior to his escape and correctional officers saw a white Dodge van registered to her near the prison's gas pumps shortly before Brown was discovered missing, Potter alleged.

Brown's escape was the second at the prison in nine months.

Raymond Eric Dodd Jr. was serving a 16-year term for armed robbery when he escaped from MCTC in July, fleeing to Baltimore where he had family.

He was recaptured there in October.

Conviction on a charge of first-degree escape carries a maximum penalty of 10 years in jail and a $20,000 fine, as does conviction on a charge to commit first-degree escape, Potter said.

The Herald-Mail Articles