Advertisement

Wiring faulted for fire

March 31, 2000|By DAN KULIN And MARLO BARNHARTs

Faulty wiring for a porch light caused a fire that destroyed a house on Wagaman Road south of Hagerstown on Friday, the Maryland State Fire Marshal's office reported.

Fire officials said a working smoke detector saved the family from the fire in their two-story house at 18604 Wagaman Road.

Robert Pike, his wife, Shelly, and their 13-year-old daughter, Whitney, escaped from the burning house after Pike was awakened by a smoke detector at about 1:20 a.m.

"The fire grew very rapidly," said Funkstown Fire Chief John Gift. "That smoke detector surely saved the family by awakening them."

Advertisement

Also responding to the blaze were firefighters from Fairplay, Boonsboro, Halfway, Sharpsburg and the Washington County Rehab unit.

The family's German shepherd and at least one cat also survived the blaze.

One dog was found dead at the top of the stairs and a cat was reportedly still missing.

Gift said the family escaped from their home with only the clothes on their backs. They will be staying across the road with family members.

Damage to the house and its contents has been estimated at $175,000.

Donations are being accepted at the George Pike residence at 18612 Wagaman Road and at the Funkstown Fire Department.

Robert Pike, a drywall contractor, wears size 7 shoes and work boots, 29-30 pants and medium shirts.

Shelly Pike wears 32-32 pants, medium shirts and 6 1/2 shoes.

Whitney Pike needs size 14 items, medium adult shirts and size 7 shoes.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|