Another robbery gets ball player second shot at prison

March 31, 2000|By MARLO BARNHART

Former St. Maria Goretti High School basketball player Diamond Christopher Scott was sentenced to 12 years in prison Thursday for bursting into a West End home with two other men last August and terrorizing the residents.

Scott pleaded guilty to robbery. Washington County Circuit Judge Donald Beachley could have sentenced him to up to 15 years in prison.

Scott, 21, also faces a possible parole revocation for prior robbery and escape convictions that could result in more prison time.

"I'd like to say I'm very sorry to the victims," Scott said, asking for mercy. "I have two sons I would like to raise."


"You've had some opportunities - a good, private education and a supportive family," Beachley said. "For some reason, you didn't take advantage of them."

All other charges including another robbery count, false imprisonment, second-degree assault and one count of burglary were dropped in exchange for his plea.

Police were called to 819 Dale St. on Aug. 22, 1999, for reports that three men had broken into the home, tied up two women and robbed the male resident.

One of those men reportedly had a gun, police said initially, but no gun was found. All three men wore ski masks.

Money and property worth more than $300 were stolen.

A second man charged in the incident, Steven Vincent Dillinger, 21, of Hagerstown, is awaiting trial.

Dillinger was charged with burglary and three counts each of second-degree assault, robbery, and false imprisonment.

He has been in jail since his arrest last August.

A third man hasn't been identified.

Scott was serving five years at the Maryland Correctional Training Center for a 1994 robbery when he failed to report back to prison May 27, 1997, from a work-release program at The Airport Inn. He turned himself in three days later, court records said.

He was sentenced to an additional year and a day in prison for those three days of freedom.

The five-year prison sentence Scott had been serving was for the August 1994 armed robbery of a couple in Hagerstown City Park and a concurrent sentence for the November, 1994, armed robbery of a convenience store, court records said.

The Herald-Mail Articles