City brothers are indicted

March 28, 2000|By MARLO BARNHART

A Washington County grand jury has indicted two Hagerstown brothers in a Feb. 19 stabbing that claimed the life of a Williamsport man and injured a Hagerstown man outside a North End pool hall and arcade.

Arismende Villaman, 18, of 17940 West Oak Ridge Drive, continues to face charges of second-degree murder in the death of Gordon Lynn Moats, who died of his wounds from the stabbing in a parking lot adjacent to Fun World and Long Meadow Bowl, Hagerstown City Police said.

Moats, 22, of 15661 Clear Spring Road, was taken to Washington County Hospital, where he died at about 6 a.m. Feb. 20, about eight hours after he was injured.

On March 14, the grand jury also returned indictments for manslaughter and first- and second-degree assault against Arismende Villaman, police said.


He and his brother, Erik Villaman, were released from the Washington County Detention Center after posting bonds of $175,000 each a few days after the incident, according to court records.

Erik Villaman, 19, also of 17940 West Oak Ridge Drive, was indicted on attempted second-degree murder, two counts of second-degree assault, and reckless endangerment in the stabbing of Ralph Curtis Myers.

Myers, 22, of 541 Salem Ave., spent about one week in Washington County Hospital recovering from his injuries, according to Hagerstown City Police Detective Steve Hoover.

The indictments against the Villaman brothers were sealed until they were served with court papers.

First appearance hearings scheduled for today were canceled after both men engaged attorneys.

Arismende Villaman is being represented by Dino Flores, a Rockville, Md., attorney. Frederick, Md., lawyer Eric Schaffer is representing Erik Villaman.

No trial dates have been set.

The incident that led to the stabbing occurred in a parking lot adjacent to Fun World and Long Meadow Bowl and spread into the Long Meadow Shopping Center parking lot on the Leitersburg Pike, police said.

Ron Owings, manager of Fun World, earlier described the Villamans as regular customers at Fun World. They had been playing pool at the business three or four times a week for at least two years.

The Villamans were playing pool about 9 p.m. on Feb. 19 when a man, who was playing the arcade game Tekken 3, walked over and began arguing with them, Owings said. The man was forced to leave by security, he said.

An hour later the man returned with a second man and, when it appeared a fight was going to break out, Owings made them leave.

He called police, and although officers arrived within five minutes, "a lot had happened in five minutes," Owings said the night of the stabbings.

Staff Writer Scott Butki contributed to this story.

The Herald-Mail Articles