Shooting victim, one suspect missing

March 25, 2000|By DON AINES

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - One suspect and the victim are missing, but another man charged in the shooting of a Shippensburg, Pa., man pleaded not guilty during his mandatory arraignment Wednesday in Franklin County Court.

Jimmie L. Aaron, 18, of 362 E. Washington St., pleaded innocent to attempted homicide, two counts of aggravated assault, three counts of criminal conspiracy and a firearms violation stemming from the Nov. 17, 1998, shooting of Anthony L. Nimley. Aaron also pleaded innocent to two counts of delivery of cocaine and another count of attempted delivery, filed by Chambersburg police in connection with incidents last year.

The shooting victim is missing. A bench warrant was issued for Nimley, 25, after he failed to appear in court for sentencing March 1 on a delivery of cocaine charge, according to court records.

Nimley pleaded guilty to the charge on Jan. 10, according to court records. Borough police records said he sold cocaine to a confidential informant on Sept. 13, 1998, two months before he was shot.


The trial for one of the other men charged with Nimley's shooting, Dewayne Cobbs, 19, of 26 W. Queen St., is scheduled to begin April 27. Cobbs was scheduled to be tried in absentia after he failed to show up for a February court appearance.

Assistant District Attorney T.R. Williams said Thursday that plans for Cobbs' trial are unchanged even though the defendant and the victim are missing. He said Nimley has kept in contact with the District Attorney's Office by cellular phone.

"He's promised me he'll turn himself in before that," Williams said.

"I'm just waiting to see who'll show up" for the trial, Williams said. He said other eyewitnesses to the shooting will be available for the trial because they are in Pennsylvania and Maryland prisons on other charges.

Cobbs was charged within a few days of the shooting and later released on bond, but Aaron and another man, Travis Thomas, 18, of 8 Redwood St., were not charged until January 2000.

Nimley was shot in the neck, arm and leg as he stood outside a Birch Street house, according to borough police. All the shots that hit Nimley came from a .45-caliber semi-automatic pistol that police later recovered in an investigation unrelated to the shooting.

Another bullet found at the scene came from a handgun that has never been recovered, police said.

The affidavit of probable cause filed when Aaron was charged alleges the shooting was drug-related.

Aaron remains in Franklin County Prison on $1 million bond. Thomas was released on $100,000 unsecured bond.

The Herald-Mail Articles