Advertisement

Candle starts house fire

March 08, 2000

A candle left unattended damaged a Hagerstown man's apartment at about 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, Hagerstown Assistant Fire Marshall John M. Hersh said.

The candle was burning on top of a dresser when Jessie Francis Degrot left his apartment at 930B Main Avenue, Hersh said.

The fire from the candle spread into the dresser in the bedroom and burned items inside, according to Hersh. He did not have a damage estimate, he said.

Degrot's mother, who was home when the fire broke out, ran outside and called the fire department, he said.

Hagerstown firefighters quickly doused the blaze, which was contained to a bedroom, Hersh said.

"They did a good job," he said.

Neighbors watched as the family sorted through burned dresser drawers, damaged dolls and other items from inside the bedroom.

- Scott Butki

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|