Latest loss has Alexander speaking out

February 24, 2000|By BOB PARASILITI

WINCHESTER, Va. - Shepherd College coach Denny Alexander stood in the hallway at Shenandoah University's gym just talking to himself.

Or at least that's what he said it felt like. Games like Thursday's ultra-physical 71-56 West Virginia Conference loss to Alderson-Broaddus have a tendency to leave one uttering a few syllables out loud - most are usually unprintable.

But Alexander was talking, to whomever would listen. If no one listens, he's a schizophrenic. If they do, he's in the middle of a soliloquy. His blank stare isn't leaving spots before his eyes, it's more like stripes.

"Yes, I'm upset," Alexander said. "But it's of something I see happen and no one does anything about it. Year after year. Game after game. (The officials) don't make any calls and I can't say anything.


"That changes the game. I'm supposed to take it an lose. And then I can't say anything about it. What kind of system is that. I know if I talk, it's sour grapes. If I say anything, I'm a poor sport and my players are poor sports."

It was a game that rivaled Battledome. Players on the floor, heavy contact and bumping and grinding without consequence. Shooting range, for the most part, was point-blank range.

The statistics had Shepherd (11-14, 7-11) committing 21 fouls to Alderson-Broaddus' 17. The Rams shot one less foul shot and made three more than the Battlers. And for anyone who cares, Shepherd did only hit 19 of 55 shots (34.5 percent) - including a dismal 8 of 24 in the second half. Alderson-Broaddus was 28 of 49 for the game, including 14 of 20 in the second half.

"We made the shots when we needed to," A-B coach Brett Vincent said. "It's as simple as that. The ball went into the basket. Shepherd is a good team. They push everyone in the league but don't have the record to show for it."

After playing even for much the first half, the Battlers (17-8, 10-8) used three foul shots by Kevyn McBride with time expired for a 34-29 lead.

The slam-dance style of play continued in the second half as Shepherd moved within 43-42 on a Ronnie Fitzpatrick 3-pointer at the 10 minute, 52 second mark.

Then, Alderson-Broaddus pushed the Rams aside, literally.

Pivotman Derrick Price picked up his third and fourth foul within 30 seconds and backup Ryan Jones took his fourth just 22 seconds later, putting both on the bench with 9:33 remaining.

It started the Battlers on a 16-4 run that finished off the Rams.

"We made a lot of mistakes, but a lot of them were made out of frustration," Alexander said. "By things not going to well and things not being administered. The decision of who's going to win isn't on the floor. It is somewhere else."

A-B 71, Shepherd 56


Bittinger 1-1 0-0 2, Jenkins 6-12 5-8 17, McBride 3-8 3-3 10, Phillips 10-14 3-6 23, Calquhoun 4-6 0-0 9, Tolliver 4-8 2-5 10, Louis 0-0 0-0 0. Totals 28-49 13-22 71.


Parkman 4-11 2-3 10, Fitzpatrick 3-11 1-4 8, Boswell 0-1 0-0 0, Tapscott 1-7 2-2 5, Stewart 4-7 4-4 12, Jones 1-1 0-0 2, Johnson 0-0-1 0-0 0, Price 2-7 6-6 10, Newsome 1-3 0-0 2, Howell 3-6 1-2 7. Totals 19-55 16-21 56.

Halftime - Alderson-Broaddus 34, Shepherd 29. Three-point goals - Alderson-Broaddus 2-8 (McBride 1-4, Calquhoun 1-1, Jenkins 0-2, Tolliver 0-1), Shepherd 2-15 (Fitzpatrick 1-4, Tapscott 1-4, Newsome 0-2, Parkman 0-2, Johnson 0-1, Stewart 0-1, Boswell 0-1).

The Herald-Mail Articles