Advertisement

Pa. family's home destroyed in fire

January 20, 2000|By DON AINES

MERCERSBURG, Pa. - A Montgomery Township family lost their home Thursday morning when potppourri on top of a wood stove caught fire.

"Fire was blowing out the windows when we got there," Mercersburg, Montgomery, Peters and Warren Volunteer Fire Co. Chief Nick Barbuzanes said. The fire at the split level home of Ray Scott, of 9716 Shimpstown Road, was called in at 8:55 a.m., he said.

Barbuzane said Scott's wife was upstairs when she smelled smoke, went downstairs and saw the candle wax for the potpourri boiling. The wax caught fire and quickly spread to a couch.

"It didn't take long for it to spread through that room," he said. The fire took about 45 minutes to bring under control; the house was gutted.

Advertisement

Two firefighters were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation, Barbuzanes said. Firefighters were at the house for four hours, knocking down hot spots in the walls and joists, he said.

Firefighters from Greencastle, Marion, St. Thomas and Waynesboro, Pa., and Maugansville, Md., assisted at the scene. Barbuzanes said about 35 firefighters went to the house.

The Scotts were staying with family members in St. Thomas Township, Barbuzanes said.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|