Advertisement

Trailer fired ruled accidental

January 17, 2000|By JULIE E. GREENE

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - A fire that destroyed a trailer home in the Four Mile Woods subdivision late Sunday morning was ruled accidental, according to the Bedington Volunteer Fire Company.

While no official cause has been determined yet, the fire was probably electrical since it started on a night stand where a lamp and radio were, said Fire Chief Robert Robinson.

Kim Bartles and her husband, who name Robinson didn't know, were awoken around 11:52 a.m. by the fire and smoke in their bedroom, Robinson said.

The fire was spreading up the wall and Bartles' husband tried to put it out with a blanket, but ended up spreading it, Robinson said.

Advertisement

The couple tried to go into the living room, but couldn't make it through the smoke so they exited the trailer from the bedroom, he said.

The man suffered second-degree burns on his face and hands, but did not go to City Hospital, Robinson said.

The trailer at Four Mile Woods, near the Shamrock night club on U.S. 11 north, was completely destroyed, Robinson said. Damage was estimated at $30,000.

The couple lost their dog and boa constrictor in the fire, Robinson said.

Robinson said there was no smoke alarm in the trailer, which was rented from neighbor Patricia Barrett. There was no insurance on the trailer or its contents, he said.

The couple were staying with a neighbor and the American Red Cross was contacted to get them clothes, Robinson said.

Twenty-six firefighters from Bedington, Hedgesville and Baker Heights responded, Robinson said.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|