Advertisement

Fire damages Pa. bowling alley

January 06, 2000|By RICHARD F. BELISLE, Waynesboro

WAYNESBORO, Pa. - An early morning fire Thursday caused by faulty wiring destroyed four of the 24 bowling lanes at Sunshine Lanes and Lounge near Rouzerville, a fire department spokesman said.

The building at 11924 Buchanan Trail East was empty at the time and there were no injuries. Damage was estimated at $200,000, said John Fleagle, deputy chief of the Blue Ridge Fire Department. He said the cause of the fire was deemed accidental from electrical wires that ran underneath the alleys.

The fire smoldered for some time before it broke through the hard Canadian maple that makes up the alleys, Fleagle said.

A passerby saw flames in the roof and called in the alarm at 5:20 a.m.

Firefighters contained the damage to the four lanes, Fleagle said.

He said water damage to the structure was minimal because firefighter were able to douse the flames with only a few hundred gallons. "There was smoke and heat damage," he said.

Advertisement

Fleagle said the building is insured. The owners plan to rebuild the facility, he said.

On the scene were more than 75 firefighters and 12 pieces of equipment from Blue Ridge Summit, Waynesboro and Mont Alto in Pennsylvania and from Emmitsburg and Thurmont in Maryland, Fleagle said.

Crews remained on the scene until shortly after 1 p.m., he said.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|