Man who cut out girlfriend's implants gets sentence reduction

December 29, 1999|By MARLO BARNHART

A five-year prison sentence imposed March 30 on a man who tried to cut out his girlfriend's breast implants has been modified to 18 months in the Washington County Detention Center.

Washington County Circuit Judge Kennedy Boone granted the reduction in Scott Edward Anders' sentence Wednesday after verifying that all outstanding medical bills had been paid.

Those bills, which exceeded $13,000, were for his former girlfriend, Ramona Kay Albertson.

In his order, Boone stipulated that Anders be responsible for pending surgical repair of Albertson's scars for three years dating from Wednesday.

Boone originally sentenced Anders to 12 years for first-degree assault, suspending all but five years. The new sentence reimposed the 12 years but suspended all but 18 months.


Anders was given credit for 55 days he served in jail after he was charged for the May 1998 incident. Work release has been authorized, according to Boone's order.

Hagerstown City Police were called to Anders' home at 44 N. Locust St. on May 25, 1998, for a report of an argument. At that time, Albertson left and went to her home in Halfway Manor, police said.

About 10 minutes later, Anders arrived at Albertson's home and the incident turned violent, police said.

Court records said the domestic disturbance escalated into a stabbing in front of Albertson's then-2-year-old daughter and Anders' attempted suicide.

Anders, 23, was found unconscious on the floor of Albertson's apartment at 17421 Fair Oaks Court at 9:30 a.m.

Washington County Sheriff's deputies also found Albertson, 25, with stab wounds to the arm and leg and most significantly, to her breasts.

In describing the attack, Assistant Washington County State's Attorney Susan Lochbaum said that Anders cut Albertson's breasts, trying to remove her breast implants, saying he'd paid for them and that he felt used.

Anders originally was charged with attempted first-degree murder, attempted second-degree murder, second-degree assault, reckless endangerment, first-degree burglary and possession of a deadly weapon with intent to injure, according to court records.

All of those charges were dropped in exchange for the guilty plea to first-degree assault.

The Herald-Mail Articles