YOU ARE HERE: HeraldMail HomeCollectionsJail

Man pleads guilty to sex offense

December 16, 1999|By KERRY LYNN FRALEY

A Williamsport man pleaded guilty in Washington County Circuit Court Thursday to having sexual relations with his children's 14-year-old baby sitter.

Although he chastised Jessie Samuel Taylor for his behavior, Circuit Judge Donald E. Beachley accepted the terms of a plea agreement calling for much of Taylor's jail sentence to be suspended.

He pleaded guilty to one count of third-degree sex offense.

"I wish that I could take everything back that I've done. I feel like a real idiot," Taylor, 24, replied when Beachley asked him what he had to say about the crime.

Taylor said the girl did write him letters describing things she would do to him.

"Big deal, 14 years old, a baby sitter, a position somewhat of trust - what difference does that make?" Beachley said.


The relationship began with kissing and progressed to sexual intercourse after Taylor showed up at the girl's Clear Spring home May 22 while her mother was at work, said Assistant State's Attorney Susan Lochbaum.

The two had sex several more times after that, Lochbaum said.

The girl, who started baby-sitting for Taylor's children in the summer of 1998, has maintained the sexual relations were consensual and doesn't want Taylor to be incarcerated, she said.

While the circumstances of the case are disturbing and the state could have made the girl testify, it was thought best for the girl and her family to settle the case without a trial, Lochbaum said.

"Frankly, the family is just exhausted and want to go on with their life," she said.

Beachley sentenced Taylor to three years, with all but six months of that suspended, to be served at the Washington County Detention Center with work release.

The jail time will be followed by three years of probation, the judge said.

Beachley granted Taylor's request to wait until after Christmas to start serving the jail time. Taylor, who said he has moved back in with his wife and two children, has to report to jail on Dec. 26.

He also has to pay $335 in court costs within 90 days, the judge said.

The Herald-Mail Articles