Fires break out in two city homes

December 13, 1999|By KIMBERLY YAKOWSKI

The Hagerstown Fire Department was called to fight two blazes that damaged homes Sunday, one on South Cannon Avenue and the other on Clarendon Street.

The fire at a home in the 300 block of South Cannon Avenue started in a second story bedroom around 2:15 p.m., according to Hagerstown Fire Department Captain Brian Pile.

When the call was dispatched, it was thought that two children might have been trapped inside, he said.

No one was found inside during a search of the home and the children were located elsewhere.

Extensive damage was found, mainly on the second floor, he said.

The second fire occurred around 9:30 p.m. at 431 Clarendon Avenue, Pile said.

The source of the blaze was a clothes dryer in the rear kitchen area of the home, he said.

Pile said a resident noticed smoke coming from the dryer and opened the door.

This allowed oxygen to fan the fire and flames engulfed the clothing inside and on top of the dryer, he said.


At that point the smoke alarms went off, he said.

Pile said he isn't sure why the dryer was smoking but said typically such fires occur when the machines overheat.

Damages to the home were confined to the dryer and rear kitchen area, he said. The home is a duplex and the other side was unoccupied, he said.

If the fire hadn't been found so quickly things might have gotten worse, said Pile.

"Early detection was important in keeping damages confined," he said.

Residents from the fires to both homes were able to get out safely and firefighters contained both blazes quickly, he said.

The Herald-Mail Articles