Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: HeraldMail HomeCollectionsSnow

More snow, ice could be on the way

November 30, 1999|By PEPPER BALLARD

Just as the snow and ice from the last week's storm has melted from area roads, freezing rain predicted for this morning and throughout the day could make Monday's commute difficult all over the Tri-State area.

Washington County could see less than an inch of snow on the ground this morning, but throughout the day, about one-quarter inch to one-half inch of ice could coat that, said Calvin Meadows of the National Weather Service. The forecast is the same for Berkeley and Jefferson counties in West Virginia and similar in Franklin and Fulton counties in Pennsylvania.

"With that amount of ice, I wouldn't anticipate it melting Monday," Meadows said.

Meadows said highs today are expected to be in the low 30s. Any temperature spike above freezing will be short.

"Any period of rain versus freezing rain will be transitory," he said. "It's not going to last for long."

On Monday, temperatures are expected to be in the upper 30s, but the shift above freezing likely will not be enough to significantly melt ice on the ground, Meadows said.

Advertisement

Washington, Berkeley and Jefferson counties are on a winter storm warning from today at 4 a.m. through Monday at 4 a.m.

Franklin and Fulton counties are on a winter storm warning from 5 a.m. today until midnight. He said the Pennsylvania counties are expected to get less than 1/4 inch of ice on top of between 1 to 3 inches of snow and sleet.

Temperatures will remain below freezing to around freezing through Friday night, he said.

A break in freezing temperatures should come Saturday, when temperatures are expected to be in the mid-40s, he said.

Meadows said there is a 30 percent chance of snow Monday night, a 30 percent chance of rain Tuesday and a 40 percent chance of rain and snow showers Thursday night.

The State Highway Administration warned through a recent press release that drivers should drive slowly and maintain extra distance between vehicles when roads are icy.

In the release, the state agency warns drivers should never pass a plow. All ice and snow should be removed from the vehicle before driving, according to the release.

The State Highway Administration suggests packing a winter survival kit to take on road trips. The kit should include cat litter or something that can be used for traction, a blanket, a flare, water and a high-energy snack, according to the release.

AAA on its Web site also suggests drivers pack a shovel, a flashlight with fresh batteries, jumper cables and paper towels in their survival kit.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|