Teen charged in fatal crash

November 30, 1999|By ERIN CUNNINGHAM


A 16-year-old Hagerstown boy has been charged in an October 2005 traffic accident in Frederick, Md., that left one woman dead.

The boy, whose name and address were not released, is charged with four counts of hit-and-run, two counts of failure to render aid, failing to give required information, negligent driving, failure to drive within a single lane and driving without a license, Maryland State Police said Thursday.

He is being detained until March 23, when he will have a hearing before a juvenile judge in Frederick County Court. The judge will determine at the hearing whether to charge the boy as an adult.


On Oct. 1, 2005, an accident on Interstate 270 claimed the life of Urai Riddle, 42, of Frederick, and injured two others.

Riddle was thrown from a 2001 Mitsubishi Montero after it overturned in the median. She was flown by helicopter to University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore, where she later died, according to police.

The driver of the Mitsubishi, Orathai Senemoontry, 31, of the 7500 block of Sundays Lane in Frederick, and a passenger, Maytee Boonyatredee of the 1000 block of Brightstone Drive in Baltimore, were flown to Shock Trauma with severe injuries, from which they have recovered.

Senemoontry was approaching Md. 85 on I-270 when his vehicle was hit on the driver's side by a red car, which also was driving north, police said at the time of the accident. The red car pulled over briefly but continued on I-270 after the accident, according to police.

Witnesses interviewed at the scene provided a description of the red car, believed to be a Honda Civic with a red spoiler, police said.

Five days after the crash, an off-duty Montgomery County deputy sheriff saw a similar vehicle in a parking lot near Md. 85 and Crestwood Boulevard in Frederick, police said. The vehicle was a red 2001 Honda Accord that was damaged on the passenger's side.

The vehicle was taken to the Frederick County Law Enforcement Center, where evidence was recovered from the vehicle, police said. That evidence was taken to an FBI crime laboratory for analysis.

The Herald-Mail Articles