Leopards remain perfect

November 30, 1999|By CHRIS CARTER / Staff Correspondent

BRUNSWICK, Md. ? The Smithsburg running attack featured a bit of thunder and lightning Friday night against Brunswick.

With the speedy Erick Parker limited by an ankle injury, bruiser Bobby Smith took on both roles.

Smith ran inside and out for 152 yards ? 101 in the second half ? and two touchdowns as the Leopards remained undefeated by dumping the Railroaders 26-9 in the MVAL Antietam.

"At the beginning of the game, the inside was pretty much closed up," Smith said. "The outside was pretty open, and once we started doing that, the inside runs opened up."

Smith ran for 51 yards in the first half, with Parker providing a change-of-pace with 98 yards on 10 attempts. Parker finished with 102 yards, but carried just twice in the second half after nicking his ankle. The injury does not appear serious.


"Erick is quick and he's getting better and learning not to be a dancer with the ball," said Smithsburg coach Buddy Orndorff. "Bobby is more of a power runner, but he's also got speed. And he can stay with the block when he needs to."

Smithsburg (6-0, 2-0) rushed for 274 yards on 52 carries. The passing game consisted mostly of screens, as Bryan Faulders completed four throws in the second half ? all screens ? and Leopards receivers turned them into big gains.

Josh Conway caught three screens and turned them into 56 yards.

Reserve running back Alex Akers took a swing pass 35 yards for a touchdown in the second half.

"You have to keep people honest," Orndorff said. "We're not just a tailback-oriented team like we've been for the last hundred years. We have some skill guys who can catch the ball and do some things with it."

Faulders hit Kevin Kocsis for a 17-yard touchdown on the game's opening drive to give Smithsburg a 7-0 lead.

Smithsburg drove to the red zone from its own 7-yard line on its second drive, spanning 7 minutes, 52 seconds. But it came up empty after Matt Plumbley's field goal attempt was short and wide.

Brunswick cut the gap to 7-3 when Ethan Wigfield hit a 26-yard field goal in the final minute of the first half.

Brunswick (1-5, 0-2) came up empty on its first four drives, and quarterback Bret Hartle was intercepted twice by Kevin Kocsis. Meanwhile, Smith scored a pair of 4-yard touchdowns in the third quarter and Akers' touchdown upped the lead to 26-3 with just under 10 minutes left in the game.

The Railroaders finally got back on the board after recovering a fumble at the Smithsburg 23. Four plays later, Mike Minch scored a 1-yard touchdown for the final score.

The Herald-Mail Articles