Advertisement

Fire sends two to hospital

November 23, 1999

House firephoto: RIC DUGAN / staff photographer




HALFWAY - A fire that damaged a house at 1517 Sherman Ave. sent two people to the hospital Tuesday morning, according to the investigators with the Office of the Maryland State Fire Marshal.

Halfway firefighters called out to the fire at 8 a.m. found flames coming out of the kitchen door and windows, according to Alan Matheny, Volunteer Fire Company of Halfway spokesman.

The homeowner, Olive Hoffman, was outside when firefighters arrived. Her hair was singed and she had a minor burn on her back. She was taken to Washington County Hospital, Matheny said. She was xxx.

Advertisement

One firefighter was taken to the hospital suffering from smoke inhalation, he said. xxx

Matheny said two dogs and cats died from smoke inhalation.

Personnel from the Cumberland Valley Veterinary Clinic in Halfway, about a block away from the fire, treated the pets but were unable to save them, he said.

Damage to the house was estimated at between $10,000 and $25,000, according to Matheny. The kitchen and first floor were extensively damaged and there was moderate smoke damage to the second floor, he said.

About 20 firefighters from Halfway and Hagerstown went to the scene.

The Red Cross helped Hoffman find temporary shelter and clothing, he said.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|