Advertisement

Crumbs from the Cracker Barrel

September 28, 1999

When the cholera reached epidemic proportions for laborers on the C&O Canal near Williamsport in 1931-32, the presence of Rev. Father Timothy Ryan helped to comfort the sick and dying. Near the river town, Father Ryan established a hospital in a log house on the "Friend Farm." Land near the structure was used as a burial site for victims of the dreaded disease. Today, the site is known as Hospital Hill. It was under Father Ryan's pastorate that on July 4, 1826, the cornerstone was laid for Saint Mary's Church in Hagerstown. In 1835 Father Ryan was responsible for the construction of Saint Peter's in Hancock.

- The Maryland Cracker Barrel

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|