Wildcats perfect fit in rain

September 22, 1999

Wildcats perfect fit in rain: Williamsport win dampened by injury to Leopards' Hutzell

Smithsburg & WilliamsportBy DAN KAUFFMAN / Staff Writer

photo: RIC DUGAN / staff photographer

WILLIAMSPORT - The fate of the Smithsburg boys soccer team was summed up in three short, yet scary moments on Tuesday.

Trailing 2-0 to Williamsport with 12 minutes to play in the second half of what became a 4-0 loss, Smithsburg forward Dennis Hutzell made a run at a ball on the right side of the Wildcats' penalty box.

[cont. from sports page]

Williamsport keeper Josh Miller met him, but Hutzell got a shot away just before being upended that dribbled into the net for what looked to be a Leopards goal. However, the sideline judge raised a flag for a penalty before the ball crossed the goal line, signaling for a penalty shot.


"I guess what happened there was the fact that the flag for the foul was up before the goal was scored," Williamsport coach Stan Stouffer said.

On the play, Hutzell went down hard on his left side and stayed motionless on the rain-drenched field. Smithsburg coach Craig Newcomer went to check on him, and soon, Stouffer joined him. Medics were called to the scene, and after 20 minutes, carried Hutzell off on a backboard with a neck brace.

Hutzell was taken to Washington County Hospital for evaluation.

"Everybody thinks he's okay," Stouffer said. "I asked (Newcomer) which one of my guys pulled him down, and he said nobody, he just went down on his own."

Zachary Newman took the penalty shot when play resumed, but Miller made the save to preserve the 2-0 lead.

"It seemed a little strange to call back what would have been a goal, but that's the referee's decision," Stouffer said of the bad break.

Williamsport (5-0, 2-0 Monocacy Valley Athletic League) quickly capitalized on a cross that Carlos Gomez flicked across with his head to Ryan Beard. Beard settled the ball and scored into an empty net for a 3-0 lead.

Three minutes later, John Lankford was shoved down in the box. His penalty shot beat Smithsburg keeper Ryan Church for the final score.

"They were playing us close," Stouffer said. "The first game was 1-0, and we dominated 95-percent of the game that time."

Jason Knicley, who came up big in Williamsport's 2-1 victory over Middletown last Friday, scored Williamsport's first two goals, one on a loose ball in front with 12 minutes to play in the first half, the other with fancy footwork in the middle of the field to beat two defenders and a low shot that beat Church right 12 minutes into the second half.

The Herald-Mail Articles