Advertisement

Police log 9/16

September 17, 1999

Electrical cord sparks Halfway fire

HALFWAY - An overheated electrical cord caused a fire in a bedroom in Halfway Thursday afternoon, according to Alan Matheny of the Volunteer Fire Co. of Halfway.

The fire was out when firefighters arrived at 17426 Lexington Ave. at 12:07 p.m., he said.

The bedroom received $1,000 in damages, Matheny said.

Eight firefighters responded and remained on the scene until 12:26 p.m.

 

Woodburner causes Clear Spring fire

HUYETT - An unattended woodburner caused a fire that gutted a garage Thursday afternoon, according to the Clear Spring Fire Department.

Advertisement

The fire was in the 15400 block of National Pike around 3 p.m. The name of the homeowner was unavailable.

Firefighters said residents noticed the fire and called 911. The fire department stayed at the scene for about 90 minutes, he said.

 

Tractor-trailer snaps utility cable, pole

FREDERICK, Md. - A tractor-trailer snared a utility cable and snapped a pole, causing a power outage in Frederick County Thursday, according to the Frederick Police Department.

Police said the driver of a tractor-trailer, owned by Shelba D. Johnson Trucking Co., Thomasville, N.C., was making a delivery to an East Patrick Street business when it got caught on a utility pole support cable at 3 p.m.

Not knowing the wire was attached to the truck, the driver pulled away and broke the pole, police said.

The pole supported transformers that supplied power to a large section of downtown Frederick, police said.

Several buildings in the area were damaged when the power supply lines attached to the them where pulled from the mounting brackets, police said.

Police did not release the name of the driver.

Allegheny Power crews were expected to have all power restored this morning, police said.

About 300 customers were without power, according to power company officials.

 

Diesel fuel spills into Pa. sewer

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - Leaking diesel fuel from a tractor-trailer Thursday afternoon poured into a storm sewer, but heavy rains may have helped minimize the environmental damage, according to a Franklin County official.

Hazardous Materials Coordinator Gary Himes said as much as 100 gallons of fuel may have leaked from a broken line on the saddle tank of a tractor-trailer. He said the truck spilled fuel onto the road at the intersection of Stouffer Avenue and Lincoln Way East in Chambersburg before the driver pulled into the parking lot of the Ponderosa Steak House.

More fuel leaked from the tank into a storm drain in the parking lot, Himes said. The Chambersburg Fire Department used absorbent padding and dikes around the storm drain and at the point where it entered the Falling Spring.

Himes said he spoke with a Pennsylvania Fish Commission official who told him the Falling Spring was running high and fast because of the rain and appeared to have quickly dissipated any fuel that reached the stream.

Pennsylvania Department of Transportation and borough road crews spread sand on the roads, which had become slick from the rain and fuel. After the accident, which occurred shortly after 4 p.m., Himes said the north end of Stouffer Avenue and one of the eastbound lanes of Lincoln Way were closed for about two hours while the cleanup was completed.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|