Man accused in attack pleads to lesser charge

September 08, 1999|By MARLO BARNHART

A 26-year-old Hagerstown man accused of kidnapping and raping his ex-girlfriend in May has pleaded guilty to a lesser offense because the victim is now his wife.

Barry Cleveland Beggarly Jr. was sentenced in Washington County Circuit Court on Aug. 5 to one year and one day for second-degree assault, court records said.

Because he was on probation for robbery when the May 1 assault incident occurred, Beggarly also was found guilty of violating probation and was handed an additional 4 1/2 years, bringing his total prison sentence to 5 1/2 years, court records said.

Beggarly had been scheduled for trial today but entered his guilty pleas at an Aug. 5 motions hearing.

According to Assistant Washington County State's Attorney Mark Wolfe, the plea to the lesser offense was accepted because the victim is now Beggarly's wife and by law, cannot be forced to testify against her husband.


Beggarly's charges had included rape, sex offenses, false imprisonment, carjacking, kidnapping and violation of an ex parte order to stay away from the victim.

Hagerstown City Police were alerted to the victim's disappearance on May 1 by a new boyfriend who said he called the victim on her cellular telephone shortly after she left for work that day and Beggarly answered, police reports said.

The victim later told police that Beggarly forced his way into her car as she was leaving for work at 6:45 a.m.

Police reports indicated that a call was made to the victim's employer and that a male voice told her boss that she was taking a personal day.

But that boss told police he could hear the victim in the background, "screaming and crying," police reports said.

Beggarly was located at 4:14 p.m. that day and allegedly told police that he and the victim had spent the day together talking. He said she left to go home around 3:30 p.m.

He denied that the victim was being held against her will, police reports said. Indeed he told police she had agreed to get away from the drug dealers he said she was hanging around with and to get an apartment with him later that week.

But at 5:45 p.m. on May 1, a police officer was sent to meet with the victim who then told police she was abducted by Beggarly and had been forced to stay with him all day, police reports said.

"She told police Beggarly told her he was going to kill her and then himself," police reports said.

She told police she told Beggarly anything he wanted to hear so he wouldn't hurt her more, police reports said.

Her injuries included a blow to the head delivered when Beggarly first forced his way into her car, and then when he forced her to have sexual intercourse in his apartment, police reports said.

The Herald-Mail Articles