Police log

September 01, 1999

A Waynesboro, Pa., woman was injured after she lost control of her car when a ladder fell from another vehicle on Interstate 81 Tuesday afternoon, Maryland State Police said.

Tera G. Grissinger, 16, of 28 E. Main St., was driving north on I-81 near State Line, Pa., when an aluminum ladder fell from an unidentified vehicle at 12:14 p.m.

Grissinger swerved to avoid the ladder and lost control of her 1989 Dodge Omni, which went onto the median and hit a tree, police said.

Grissinger was pinned inside her car and had to be freed by rescue personnel.

She was flown to Washington County Hospital where she was listed in serious condition Tuesday evening.

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - A motocyclist trying to round up loose cattle was injured Monday night when he was struck by a pickup truck in Hamilton Township, according to Pennsylvania State Police.


Joseph Mills, 22, of Chambersburg, was in serious condition Tuesday night at York (Pa.) Hospital, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Police said the accident happened at 8:40 vp.m. on Fort McCord Road near Bricker Road. Mills was riding a Yamaha motorcycle without a helmet while trying to corral the animals and rode out of a yard and into the into the path of an eastbound pickup driven by James Bell, 22, of Chambersburg, police said.

Bell was not injured, police said.

NEW FRANKLIN, Pa. - A shed filled with tires and car parts was destroyed by a fire Tuesday evening in Guilford Township, according to New Franklin Volunteer Fire Co. Chief Colin Snyder.

The 20-by-10-foot wooden shed owned by Steve Bender, 5352 Church Lane, was fully involved when firefighters got to the scene, Snyder said. He had no dollar estimate of the damage.

Snyder said the cause of the 6:45 p.m. fire was not suspicious, although the exact cause was unknown. Bender had been burning trash nearby earlier and using a chainsaw, Snyder said.

Firefighters were on the scene about an hour. There were no injuries, he said.

FUNKSTOWN - A man has been charged in the Monday night accident that sent two vehicles into a Funkstown home, according to the Washington County Sheriff's Department.

Robert Rudolf Link, 57, of Thomas Drive in Hagerstown, was cited for failure to avoid a collision, police said.

Deputies said a Plymouth Voyager driven by James David Reus, 57, of Potomac Street in Boonsboro, was stopped at the light on eastbound Baltimore Street in Funkstown around 9 p.m., waiting to turn south onto U.S. Alternate 40.

A Chevrolet Blazer being driven by Link east on Baltimore Street failed to stop and rear-ended Reus' van, deputies alleged.

The Blazer pushed the van into the 201 Baltimore St. home of Walter and Mary Lou Rizer.

Link's sport utility vehicle crashed into the home alongside the van.

Reus and his passenger, Rosemary Delores Rues, 58, of Potomac Street in Boonsboro, were treated at Washington County Hospital Monday evening.

The Rizers were in the living room at the rear of the two-story brick house and were not injured.

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - A Martinsburg man was sentenced in federal court to 57 months in prison Monday after pleading guilty to distributing crack cocaine.

U.S. Attorney David E. Godwin said Alvin Douglas Newell, 37, pleaded guilty June 9 to distributing the drug in August 1998 at Wesley Village Apartments, were he lived.

U.S. District Judge W. Craig Broadwater included four years of supervised parole in the sentence.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Thomas O. Mucklow prosecuted the case, which was investigated by the Eastern Panhandle Drug and Violent Crimes Task Force.

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - A Falling Waters, W.Va., man was sentenced Aug. 13 to 117 months in prison and three years of parole after pleading guilty to cocaine distribution and carrying a firearm while drug trafficking.

U.S. Attorney David E. Godwin said Matthew C. Wyand, 20, also agreed to forfeit $4,500 in lieu of a Corvette allegedly used in drug crimes.

Wyand was indicted by a federal grand jury in January.

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - A Bunker Hill, W.Va., man pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court Aug. 24 to distributing drugs within 1,000 feet of Inwood Primary School.

U.S. Attorney David E. Godwin said Travis Morris, 19, was indicted in connection with an incident on March 6, 1998.

Conviction on the charge carries a maximum sentence of 40 years in prison and a fine of up to $2 million.

The Herald-Mail Articles