Goretti wins soccer opener

August 24, 1999|By BOB PARASILITI

When it came time for volunteers to take control of the Martinsburg-St. Maria Goretti soccer match, Trey Cobb threw up his hand.

And it couldn't have come at a better time for the Gaels.

[cont. from sports page]

Cobb's raised hand caught the attention of defender Ben Hood, who lofted a three-quarter field pass Monday to send Cobb on his way to a breakaway goal to snap a scoreless tie midway through the second period in a 3-1 victory over the Bulldogs.

Cobb scored two goals in the season opener for each team, but none was more important than first, which changed the pace of the game at the 52:36 mark of the match.

"It wasn't really a play ... I just put my hand up for him to see me," Cobb said. "Luckily the pass got there. On the other plays, I couldn't see the goalie. This time I got a look at him."


Both teams had trouble finishing off opportunities in the first three-quarters of the game. The Gaels had three previous shots when Martinsburg goalie Curtis Neiderer came out of the goal mouth to cut down the angle of shots. Goretti failed to convert.

But Cobb made the break to get by the Bulldogs' defense. Hood saw Cobb's gesture and took the high road over the field, releasing the ball from the flat to the right of the 18-yard box.

Cobb took the pass and chipped over Neiderer's head as he came out to make a play. Cobb ran around the goalie, getting the ball before it rolled over the end line and headed it in for the score.

"(Winning the game) is huge," Cobb said. "This year I want to take the weight of the scoring because I'm a senior."

Cobb gave Goretti a 2-0 lead at the 59:08 mark when Martinsburg's defense parted, giving him a clear shot from the top of the box, an opportunity he drilled into the lower right corner of the goal.

"Trey is amazing," Goretti coach Marty Wills said. "He has no quit in him ... he's always going full speed. And even at his (diminutive) size and height, he has a four-foot vertical leap. He was getting up there with them after the ball."

Pat Yungwirth gave the Gaels a 3-0 lead at 68:52 when he converted a rebound of Hood's shot that had bounced off the left goalpost. Martinsburg avoided the shutout in the 72nd minute when Matt Printz unloaded a shot from the right wing into the left side of the net, past Goretti goalie James Nichols.

The offense became much more fluid after Cobb decided to step to the forefront.

"This is the first full-field play we've had this year. We didn't have any scrimmages," Wills said. "It's the first game and we have to settle down more and be patient. I think Martinsburg may have let down a little after the first goal. That's tough when it happens, but they didn't give up. They still played with a lot of heart, hustle and skill."

The Herald-Mail Articles