Drought resources

August 23, 1999

Those interested in finding out more about the drought or have specific concerns can contact the following agencies in the Tri-State area.


- The Maryland Department of Agriculture has set up a hotline to help Maryland farmers get hay or water for their livestock. The number is 1-800-638-2207 or 410-841-5803. Its Web site is

- A University of Maryland Cooperative Extension site - tips for drought conditions, water conservation and other topics at

Information is also distributed, and questions will be answered, at 1-800-342-2507.

- To receive information about the Emergency Feed Assistance Program in Washington County, farmers can call the Washington County Farm Service Agency at 301-797-0500.

- For information on Maryland water-use restrictions, call the state's toll-free drought hotline at 1-877-437-6844 or visit the Web site at


- The National Weather Service's Web site -

- Maryland Cooperative Extension, Tom Miller, extension regional water quality specialist, 301-432-2767 ext. 326.

- Hagerstown Water Department - 301-791-3020.

- Maryland Farm Bureau - 410-922-3426.

West Virginia:

- West Virginia Division of Environmental Protection - 304-759-0515; office of water resources, 304-558-2107.

- For hay and feed donations and transportation farmers can call Dwayne O'Dell, West Virginia Department of Agriculture, 304-558-2210.

- Jefferson Farm Service Agency - 304-725-3471.

- Berkeley/Morgan Farm Service Bureau - 304-263-7547.

- Eastern Panhandle Soil Conservation District - 304-263-4376.


- Pennsylvania Department of the Environmental Protection - 717-722-4048; for emergencies, 1-800-541-2050. Web site -

- Fulton County Consolidated Farm Service Agency - 717-485-3231.

- Gov. Tom Ridge's radio news service updated on Friday afternoons - 1-800-932-0380 or 1-800-932-0381.

- Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources Web site -

The Herald-Mail Articles