SCOTLAND, Pa. - Gasoline fumes coming from a monitoring well caused two businesses and a section of Black Gap Road to be closed Wednesday afternoon, according to Fayetteville Volunteer Fire Company Deputy Chief Bobby Albrecht.
"We had an extremely explosive atmosphere," Albrecht said of the incident at Scotland Mini Fuels, 3322 Black Gap Road. He said the fumes were heavy enough that they were displacing oxygen around the drill site and could have ignited.
The fumes were detected at about noon, forcing that business and the McDonald's across the road to be evacuated for more than three hours.
He said Black Gap Road was closed from the west side of the nearby Exit 8 interchange to Smoketown Road. Motorists going to and from Chambersburg Mall were allowed to use the entrance just north of Smoketown Road, Albrecht said.