Inmate gets one year for aiding escape attempt

August 09, 1999|By MARLO BARNHART

The man whose telephone call from the Maryland Correctional Training Center led to bolt cutters being smuggled into the state prison last year was sentenced to one year in prison Monday by Washington County Circuit Judge Frederick C. Wright III.

Shawn Michael Metty will begin serving that year after he completes a five-year sentence for assault and battery he is serving at the Western Correctional Institution.

In January, Metty, 22, of Cumberland, Md., who was an inmate at MCTC in April 1998 pleaded guilty to conspiracy to effect escape.

The phone call was to his wife, Shannon M. Metty, 20, also of Cumberland, who pleaded guilty in January to conspiracy to deliver contraband.


Shannon Metty is the only one of the four involved in the scheme still awaiting sentencing.

The bolt cutters were found during a routine inspection of an air vent in the prison newspaper office on April 29, 1998, according to court records.

The investigation revealed Shannon Metty bought the bolt cutters at Wal-Mart with a $75 money order and took them to MCTC, where they were hidden in a trash container in the visitors parking lot.

"He was approached by Henry Davis and he made the call to his wife," said defense attorney Steve Kessell.

The bolt cutters were retrieved by Davis, 39, of Baltimore, who entered an Alford plea in late July to unlawfully receiving contraband to aid an escape.

Davis, a member of a trusted group of inmates allowed outside the prison fence, hid the bolt cutters under his jacket on April 7, 1998, and got them inside the prison, court records said.

He was sentenced July 20 to 10 years in prison with all but 18 months suspended. Davis reported to the Washington County Detention Center on Aug. 3 to begin serving his sentence.

The bolt cutters were destined for Charles Kenneth Hopkins, 48, of Baltimore, who also entered an Alford plea in late July to unlawfully receiving contraband to aid an escape, court records said.

Hopkins, who is serving a life term at the Maryland Correctional Adjustment Center in Baltimore, was sentenced July 20 to 10 years in prison, consecutive to a sentence he is serving for killing a police officer during a 1972 robbery in Baltimore.

An Alford plea is an acknowledgment that the prosecution has enough evidence for a conviction, but the defendant does not acknowledge guilt.

Since the bolt-cutter incident, security measures at MCTC have been tightened, according to Warden Ronald Moats.

The Herald-Mail Articles