Advertisement

Franklin Co. Head Start gets $1.44 million

July 22, 1999

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - More than $1.44 million has been awarded to Franklin County Head Start Inc. to help fund its operations for another year, U.S. Rep. Bud Shuster, R-Pa., announced Thursday.

The funding from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services will cover costs for personnel, travel expenses, supplies and administrative costs, Shuster said in a prepared release. It amounts to 80 percent of the program's budget, with the other 20 percent coming from various sources at the state level.

Franklin County Head Start has 70 employees serving 261 children at 15 sites throughout the county. It is headquartered in Chambersburg.

Head Start offers pre-school education as well as training for parents in such areas as mental health and dental care.

"The grant will make an immediate impact on the lives of the young children of Franklin County," Shuster said in the release. "This is an outstanding example of the federal government working side by side with the local community to make an impact on our area's youth."

Advertisement

The announcement came after Head Start offices were closed; no representative of the agency could be reached for comment.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|