Man who was shot by police is arraigned

July 08, 1999|By BRYN MICKLE

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - A man who was shot by police after he ran into a state trooper with a stolen truck turned himself in at a Berkeley County court Thursday following his release from a Virginia hospital, police said.

Andrew Jackson Way, 44, of Martinsburg, was formally arraigned in Berkeley County Magistrate Court on charges stemming from a June 20 incident at a sobriety checkpoint.

Way had been hospitalized with gunshot wounds to his shoulder and abdomen, but left the hospital Wednesday and agreed to turn himself into police on Thursday, according to West Virginia State Police.

Way was charged with malicious assault on a police officer, two counts of attempted malicious assault on police, third-offense driving while under the influence, fleeing in a vehicle while DUI and possession of a stolen vehicle, according to court records.


A computer check of Way's driving record showed four previous DUI convictions in 1978, 1985, 1992 and 1998, according to court records.

Way was held on $45,000 bond in the Eastern Regional Jail on Thursday, according to court records.

Police said Trooper E. Anderson shot the man after he hit another trooper with a stolen 1994 GMC truck while trying to evade a sobriety checkpoint that had been set up on U.S. 11 south of Martinsburg.

The man lost control of the truck on northbound U.S. 11 and was trying to restart the truck when two troopers approached him with their guns drawn and ordered him out of the truck, police said.

The man started the truck and drove forward, hitting Trooper K. Plummer and a state police car, police said.

Anderson shot the driver twice and was then dragged by the truck until another trooper fired into the truck, police said.

Troopers followed the truck for about a mile and the chase ended when the wounded driver pulled off the roadway and stopped.

Plummer was treated and released at Martinsburg City Hospital for injuries to his left hand and arm, police said.

The truck had been reported stolen June 9 to the Berkeley Springs Police Department, police said.

The malicious assault on a police officer charge carries a maximum penalty of 15 years in prison if convicted, according to court records.

The Herald-Mail Articles