Advertisement

Crumbs from the cracker barrel

May 25, 1999

In 1891 Charles W. Boyer arrived in Hagerstown to work in the office of the Cumberland Valley and Western Maryland News Agency. In 1903, Boyer, the son of a Confederate soldier, helped to organize the South Atlantic Baseball League, which began play in 1904. In the early 1900s, Boyer operated the Academy Theater on West Washington Street and later the Palace Theater, which eventually became known as Henry's Theater. In 1914 Boyer helped to form the six-team Blue Ridge League and served as league president. He also owned the Blues, Hagerstown's entry in the new circuit. The Blues played their home games on a diamond off South Potomac Street where Bester Elementary School is now located.

-- The Maryland Cracker Barrel

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|