Recent Hagerstown shootings

May 20, 1999

There have been seven shootings in Hagerstown in 1999 including five in the last six weeks. All but one have been in the city's HotSpot zone. Arrests were made in just one case.

Jan. 12: A gunman fired several shots at a car near the 400 block of Park Place at 3:55 p.m.

No one was hit by bullets but an unoccupied car parked nearby was damaged.

Police charged Durrell M. Blackmond, 27, of 115 W. Church St., with attempted second-degree murder, first-degree assault and reckless endangerment.

Jan. 30: Milton Leroy Powell, 29, of Burtonsville, Md., was chased down and stabbed twice following a dispute at JR's Cafe, 355 Jonathan St. Prior to the stabbing, shots were fired inside the crowded restaurant.

No arrest has been made.

April 11: Two men pistol-whipped and shot Michael Angelo Norris, of Hagerstown, who had been walking in an alley to the rear of the 200 block of Mill Street.


Norris was shot in the arm. He was treated and released from Washington County Hospital.

No arrest has been made.

April 18: Two men were shot in separate incidents in the first block of West North Avenue. Hagerstown City Police said the shootings were unrelated.

Shairon Rudsel Cornelia, 22 of Hagerstown was shot in the leg after a dispute with another man.

Cornelia checked himself out of Washington County Hospital later that day.

Damon McCarrol Scott, 19, of Bowie, Md., was shot in the shoulder. He was released from Washington County Hospital on April 24.

No arrests have been made.

April 24: James Otis Daniel, 32, of Decatur, Ga., was shot in the abdomen in the first block of North Jonathan Street in a dispute over a radio.

Antonio Lambert, of 33 Avalon Ave., Hagerstown, was charged with attempted murder. He was apprehended in Martinsburg, W.Va., by Martinsburg City Police following the shooting.


May 20: City police found the body of Desmar Bernard Artis, 18, of 1254 Magnolia Court in the parking lot at the rear of 60 East Ave.

The victim had been shot once in the left upper arm.

Police determined the man was not killed where his body was found.

No arrest had been made by Thursday night.

The Herald-Mail Articles