Advertisement

Girl injured house fire

April 15, 1999

A child was injured in a fire that started in the basement of a Hagerstown home Thursday evening, according to Deputy Chief John Latimer, of the Long Meadow Volunteer Fire Department.

The child was taken to the Washington County Hospital for smoke inhalation, he said.

"He was taken for observation. It wasn't serious," said Latimer.

Latimer said the firefighters were called to 12828 Cathedral Ave. around 7 p.m. by the homeowners.

He did not know their names.

The homeowners told the Washington County Fire and Rescue dispatcher that an electrical fire had started in the basement of their brick ranch home, said Latimer.

Latimer estimated damages at about $15,000.

Most of the damage was in the basement, which sustained water, heat and smoke damage, he said.

In addition to Long Meadow, fire crews from Maugansville, Hagerstown, Leitersburg and County Rescue responded.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|