Man who threatened officer gets 8 months

April 15, 1999|By MARLO BARNHART

A sword-wielding Hagerstown man was sentenced Thursday to serve eight months in jail for threatening a police officer with the 28-inch weapon last Aug. 3.

Because the sword attack was Scott Dwayne Troup's second on a police officer, and occurred while he was still on probation for the first, an 8 1/2 year prison sentence was reimposed but then suspended by Washington County Circuit Judge Frederick Wright.

In the latest attack, Troup, 31, of 111 King St., pleaded guilty to second-degree assault. Other charges of first-degree assault, assault with a deadly weapon and reckless endangerment were dropped in exchange for the plea.

According to police, Washington County Hospital security officers called police complaining that a man on King Street had chased a hospital employee.


Officer Brenton Saur went to a home at 111 King St. at about 9:30 p.m. The man who answered the door held a sword over his head, police said.

Saur backed away and called for backup. When additional officers arrived, the man dropped the weapon and was arrested, police said.

In the previous case, Troup attacked former Hagerstown City Police Officer Marty Weedon with a sword on Dec. 30, 1996, and the officer fired his gun.

For that offense, Troup was sentenced to 18 months in the Washington County Detention Center for second-degree assault.

Wright, who also presided at that trial, suspended 8 1/2 years of the 10-year prison term he originally imposed.

That suspended portion was reimposed Thursday and suspended again, court records showed.

The 1996 incident on Manor Drive began when police got a call from neighbors who reported hearing a woman screaming in an apartment.

When Weedon arrived about 10:56 p.m., he was advised by a woman inside to come in. When he did, Weedon saw Troup sitting on top of the woman on the couch, court records said.

Troup got up immediately and the woman ran behind Weedon. While the officer was requesting identification from Troup, the man jumped back on the couch and removed a sword from a scabbard hanging on the wall, court records said.

When Troup began advancing on Weedon, the officer drew his weapon and fired one shot, court records said.

Although Troup wasn't hit, he went to the floor. He later was subdued with pepper spray when he resisted arrest, court records said.

The Herald-Mail Articles