Advertisement

Fire destroys shed, farm equipment

February 17, 1999

FAYETTEVILLE, Pa. - A fire that started when a trash burning pit was left unattended, destroyed a farm storage building Tuesday and caused $45,000 in damage, said Bobby Albrecht, deputy chief of the Fayetteville Fire Department.

The shed, at 3042 Black Gap Road, was owned by Irvin Coldsmith. It housed a tractor, two trailers and some farm equipment, all of which was destroyed.

He said he has insurance on the one-story, 40-by-80 foot cement block building and its contents, but wasn't sure if there was enough to cover the damage.

Firefighters kept the fire contained to the shed and away from a large wooden barn next to it.

Coldsmith said he rents out the farm.

Coldsmith said he started to burn some debris in his burn pit around 1 p.m. and left the farm when he thought it had burned itself out.

Advertisement

Albrecht said the fire from the pit spread onto the grass behind the shed and burned its way into a pile of old tires he had stored there, The fire spread to the shed from the tires, he said.

The alarm came in at 2:52 p.m. Albrecht said.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|