Since taking office in June 1997, Hagerstown City Councilman J. Wallace McClure has attended more council meetings than any city politician.
McClure has missed two of the 78 council work sessions or voting sessions during the past 20 months, according to a review of council meeting attendance done by City Clerk Gann Breichner.
McClure said he was on vacation during both of those meetings.
During that period:
* Councilman Lewis C. Metzner, who had four family members die during 1998, missed 13 meetings.
* Councilman William M. Breichner had 10 absences.
* Councilman Alfred W. Boyer missed six meetings.
* Councilwoman Susan Saum-Wicklein missed five meetings.
* Mayor Robert E. Bruchey II missed four council sessions.
Overall, either the mayor or one council member was absent from 33 of those meetings, or about 42 percent, according to the review.