Advertisement

Dr. Smith's House

December 30, 1998

This is the 111th in a series of articles about the historic and architectural treasures of Washington County.

Dr. Smith's HouseBy Pat Schooley

photo: RIC DUGAN / staff photographer




In 1797, on land called Fellowship, just west of Turners Gap, brothers William and George Boone laid out lots for a community they named Boons Berry Town. Boonsboro grew slowly until the early 19th century, when the National Road pushed through from Baltimore to Indiana.

[cont. from lifestyle]

Dr. Edgar T. Smith was a physician, third in his family to be a doctor in Boonsboro. Dr. Otho Smith, Edgar's grandfather, settled there in 1833 and retired in 1866, leaving his practice to his son-in-law, Dr. John M. Gaines.

Edgar Smith read medicine with Dr. Gaines and took over his practice in 1893. Dr. Otho Smith lived and worked in the old stone house at number 32 on the west side of Main Street. Dr. Edgar Smith acquired property at 31-33 N. Main St. across the street and cleared the existing structures before building his home there in the 1880s.

Advertisement

Dr. Smith's house is different from most of the homes and businesses along Boonsboro's Main Street. It is set back from the right of way behind an iron fence and has a small, elevated yard with limestone steps leading from the street.

It is a gracious frame house on stone foundations, carefully made with beautiful details in the Queen Anne style. A one-story porch wraps around the south side, supported by bracketed posts. Windows have single lights in the lower sashes and upper sashes framed by small panes of colored glass. Shark's tooth moldings decorate the lintels above all openings, and three bays project from the front and sides of the house.

The slate roof has crossed gables and multi-paned half-round windows set in the front facing gables. Twelve stylized crosses decorate the fascia of the uppermost gable, perhaps symbolic of Dr. Smith's Roman Catholic faith.

A small pediment rises from the porch roof above the steps, and, across the porch, the main entrance opens into a foyer. This is an ample room with narrow beaded-board wainscot. To the left - north - a stairway rises to a landing, turns to follow the exterior wall to another landing, and then continues to the second floor.

On the opposite wall, a pocket door opens into the living room. Beneath an elaborate wooden grille, a pair of pocket doors opens into the parlor on the south wall of the foyer. A fireplace with an incised, marbled mantelpiece and an arched firebox angles across the corner of these two walls. The original brass chandelier with crystal prisms hangs from the original plaster medallion in the center of the ceiling.

The parlor has a bay extending toward the street. It still retains its original plaster ceiling medallion and brass fixture. Another corner fireplace is set in the northeast corner of this room, backing up to the one in the foyer. The mantel is decorated with incised carving and faux marble painting.

Floors and woodwork throughout the house are heart pine. Doors are paneled, and the trim around windows and doors has turned corner blocks. Hardware is cast brass with intricate patterns.

Behind the parlor is the dining room, once Dr. Smith's office. It is connected to the living room behind the foyer by an arched hallway. Patients entered the office from the porch through a tall door in the center of the bay on the south wall. On the north wall was a closet, presumably for medicines, that now has been opened into a passageway to the kitchen. The present doorway between the parlor and dining room was added much later. The living room has a wide, rectangular bay on its north wall. Upstairs are four bedrooms and two baths.

Dr. Smith died in 1923. His widow remained in the house until 1946 when the property, now divided into two apartments, was sold to Amos and Margie Reeder.

In 1971, a lot on Center Street at the back of the property was sold, retaining right-of-way. Five years later, the house conveyed to Margie Reeder's children, retaining a life estate for her.

George Karras purchased the house in 1985 and did considerable exterior restoration before selling it to George and Victoria Messner the following year.

George Messner learned that his employer was retiring the same week the Smith house came on the market. He would need to establish his own insurance agency and find a place to set up his office. Dr. Smith's house seemed ideal. The necessary interior restoration was daunting, but the Messners decided that the location, the possibility of having a business and a home together and the challenge of restoring a lovely old home was something that they wanted to do.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|