Advertisement

Police log 12/15

December 15, 1998

Pa. thief opens Christmas presents

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - All the presents under a Chambersburg woman's Christmas tree were opened before the thief or thieves made off with computer games over the weekend, according to borough police.

The report said Margaret Wolfe, of 227 E. Washington St., was out shopping when her house was entered on Saturday. She reported the theft at 3:48 p.m., telling police that three Sony Playstation CDs were stolen from under the Christmas tree.

Police said several juveniles were seen in the area at about the time the games were stolen. Anyone with information about the theft can call Chambersburg police at 264-4131.

Advertisement

 

Credit card stolen at Christmas party

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - Pennsylvania State Police said a credit card stolen at a Christmas party last Thursday was used to withdraw $300 from an automatic teller machine.

The report said a purse belonging to Esther C. Oney, 34, of 212 S. Church St., Waynesboro, Pa., was stolen between 8:30 and 9 p.m. from the Franklin Learning Center on Loop Road in Guilford Township.

The report did not indicate where the withdrawal was made.

 

Furnace blamed in trailer fire

HANCOCK - A malfunctioning furnace caused a Monday morning fire that destroyed a mobile home at 1433 Rice Road, Hancock, and two cars parked nearby.

The property is owned by Rachel Joann Bishop and Lloyd Chester Bishop Sr., according to Deputy State Fire Marshal Robert Hahn, Sr.

It was occupied by Lloyd Chester Bishop Jr., who was not home when the fire broke out, he said.

Bishop Jr.'s dog was tied to a tree near the mobile home and began barking when the fire erupted.

The barking alerted a neighbor who called 911 and rescued the dog, Hahn said.

About 20 firefighters from Hancock, Clear Spring and Berkeley Springs, W.Va., had the fire under control within 20 minutes.

 

Fire spreads to bird nest, then barn

FREDERICK , Md. - Embers from an outdoor trash fire ignited a bird's nest in a nearby tree and burned down a barn containing an unoccupied apartment in Walkersville, Md., on Sunday afternoon, authorities said.

Officials from the State Fire Marshal's Office estimated damages to the masonry, block and wood frame building at $25,000.

The building is owned by Mark Jenkins.

No injuries were reported.

Walkersville Fire Department responded to the blaze.

 

Fire leaves family of five homeless

FREDERICK, Md. - Five people are homeless after a fire destroyed their two-story home in Walkersville on Friday morning, officials said.

The fire started in combustible materials piled on top of a working dryer, according to the State Fire Marshal's Office. The materials ignited apparently when the appliance overheated.

The home is owned by Mark Hewitt.

He lived there with his wife, Linda, 39, and children, Mark Jr., 20, Betsy, 17, and Katie, 12

Damage to the home was estimated at $75,000, according to officials.

Firefighters from Frederick companies 11, 16, 17 and 19 responded to the blaze.

It took them 20 minutes to get the fire under control.

Officials said the family had insurance.

 

Home damaged by chimney fire

MOUNT AIRY, Md. - An accidental chimney fire caused $30,000 in damage to a Mount Airy home Friday morning, according to the State Fire Marshal's Office.

The one-story, 18653 Penn Shop Road home was owned by John Jefferson and was rented by Jim Mark, who was not home at the time of the fire, officials said.

The house sustained damage to the walls, and roof.

Firefighters from Lisbon and Mount Airy worked for 20 to 30 minutes to get the blaze under control.

 

Thurmont house fire ruled arson

THURMONT, Md. - A fire at a 12921 Catoctin Furnace Road home on Saturday evening has been ruled an arson, the State Fire Marshal's Office said.

The home is owned by George Broadway Sr. and occupied by David Anders.

Saturday's incident was the second fire in the building within the past two weeks, said officials.

Damage to the home was estimated at $40,000.

Firefighters from Guardian Hose Co., Lewistown Fire Department and the Vigilant Hose Co. responded to the fire.

It took them 15 to 20 minutes to contain the blaze.

Former bookkeeper sentenced

CHARLES TOWN, W.Va. (AP) - A former bookkeeper at the Jefferson County Public Service District will spend three years on probation for embezzling nearly $220,000.

Vivian R. Walters, who worked at the public service district for about eight years, was sentenced after pleading guilty Friday. But her one- to 10-year prison sentence was suspended, Circuit Court officials said.

Walters was indicted in September 1996 when the thefts came to light.

 

4-year-old injured in hit-and-run

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - A 4-year-old Martinsburg boy was injured in a hit-and-run accident Monday afternoon, police said.

Martinsburg police said Terry L. Webb, 50, of Martinsburg was charged with leaving the scene of an accident after a boy was struck by a pickup truck at the corner of Queen and John streets in Martinsburg.

The boy was treated and released at Martinsburg City Hospital, police said.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|