Man wounded in Jonathan Street shooting

December 05, 1998|By LAURA ERNDE

A man was wounded by gunfire on Jonathan Street on Friday night, Hagerstown City Police said.

Police were called to 229 N. Jonathan St. about 10:30 p.m. for a report of shots being fired and one man hit.

A Community Rescue Service ambulance crew worked on the unidentified man, who was lying just inside the doorway to the building.

They took him to Washington County Hospital with injuries that appeared to be in the neck and shoulder area.

The man's injuries were not believed to be life-threatening, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Few details were available from police on the shooting, including whether there were any suspects.

Police closed the entire street to traffic while they investigated the shooting.

North of where the victim was found, yellow police tape crisscrossed Jonathan Street. The off-limits area stretched from Zion Baptist Church to Bethel Street.


The neighborhood was eerily quiet even as dozens of people gathered on the street to watch police investigate the shooting.

Neighbors said they didn't hear or see anything.

Some, who declined to give their names, speculated the shooting was related to the out-of-town drug dealing that has been an ongoing problem in the neighborhood.

One woman said she was afraid to buy her children bicycles for Christmas because of the violence.

The site of the shooting was designated as a HotSpot last year.

Washington County received a $221,000 grant to target small, high-crime neighborhoods with a comprehensive attack that combines the police, community groups, parole and probation agents and after-school programs.

Just two months ago, officials announced that violent crime in the neighborhood was down 20 percent during the first half of 1998.

There was a shooting on Jonathan Street in April.

A Waynesboro, Pa., man was shot as he was riding by in a car, Hagerstown City Police said.

Tyler Lamont Moore, 24, told police that he ducked after hearing gunshots but discovered he had been hit in the arm.

He was treated at Washington County Hospital and released.

The Herald-Mail Articles