N.Y. man gets five years in assault, robbery

December 02, 1998|By KERRY LYNN FRALEY

A New York City man on Tuesday was sentenced to 10 years in prison, with five years suspended, and three years probation in a plea agreement stemming from a September 1997 incident near Hancock in which a woman was struck on the head with a gun and robbed.

Robert Anthony Crosby also was sentenced to three years in prison in a plea agreement stemming from an incident the following month in which a teenage girl was shot through the door of a North Potomac Street apartment.

The sentences will be concurrent with a three-year prison sentence Crosby is serving on a drug distribution conviction, Washington County Circuit Judge Kennedy Boone said Tuesday.

On Oct. 22, Crosby admitted to one count of second-degree assault from the September 1997 incident and one count of reckless endangerment from the October 1997 shooting.


The joint plea agreement resulted from problems of proof and unavailability of witnesses, Boone said.

None of the victims in either case was present for the sentencing, during which Crosby remained silent.

Crosby had been charged with three counts of first-degree assault, three counts of second-degree assault, reckless endangerment, robbery, theft and use of a handgun in the commission of a felony in the September 1997 incident.

Under the plea agreement, all charges were dropped except for one count of second-degree assault.

According to police reports, the incident began in the parking lot of the Hardee's restaurant in Hancock, where a Cumberland, Md., woman met briefly with a man to discuss a drug transaction, according to court records.

She followed him to the intersection of McKinley Drive and Tollgate Ridge Road, where the man told her he was looking for the "stash" and struck her on the head with a handgun, court records said.

He then pointed a semiautomatic pistol at two men who were sitting in the woman's car and demanded the keys to the vehicle, court records said.

Before driving away with two women who were in his car, the man stole about $500 from the victim, court records said.

The car was found at the Super 8 Motel in Hagerstown.

Crosby, who is also known as "Special" or "Eric," had been charged with attempted second-degree murder, four counts of first-degree assault, four counts of second-degree assault, four counts of reckless endangerment, use of a handgun in commission of a felony, wearing or carrying a handgun and discharge of a firearm within city limits stemming from the Oct. 24, 1997, shooting.

According to court records, a 16-year-old Hagerstown girl was hit in the upper left leg by one of seven shots fired through an apartment door.

At about 2:30 a.m., two men began beating on the front door of Apt. 8 at 441 N. Potomac St. and attempted to force their way in by kicking the door, court records said.

During a lull, one of four people in the apartment looked out the peephole of the door and saw two men.

Because of identification problems, the prosecution agreed to Crosby's plea of reckless endangerment and dismissed the other charges.

On Jan. 18, police raided a room at the Motel 6 in Halfway and arrested Crosby after he was recognized by someone who saw his photograph in The Herald-Mail earlier that month.

The Herald-Mail Articles