Hawks hammered

November 28, 1998|By BILL STERNER / Staff Correspondent

Champlain College basketball coach Robert Tipson knew that to beat talented Hagerstown Community College, his team would have to never allow an uncontested 3-pointer and would have to limit the normally high octane Hawk offense to only one shot for each trip down the floor.

The Beavers worked on the plan all week. Pay day came last night.

Behind Joe Williams' 19 points and 16 rebounds, Champlain labored to an 11-point halftime lead and were never challenged in defeating the Hawks 72-54 at the Athletic and Recreation Center.

A Nate Duvert layup gave Champlain a 26-24 lead at the 6:50 mark, and from there, the disciplined Beavers never trailed again.

"They are good leapers. Consequently they dominated the boards," HCC coach Jim Brown said.

The domination was distinct in that the Beavers outrebounded Hagerstown, 52-34. But Champlain turned the rebounding advantage into points, outscoring the Hawks 38-10 in the paint.


"We weren't getting our normal second and third shots," Brown continued. "Right now, there are some things we are not doing with confidence."

The Hawks not only lost the battle under the boards, but they also were outscored 15-2 in second- effort points, that is, taking the ball after the initial shot and making something good happen.

"Our kids played hard tonight," Tipson said. "Hagerstown is an excellent team, and you must work hard for everything they give you."

And the Hawks, who looked uncomfortable at times in their substitution matchups, gave up plenty. The Beavers' largest lead was 21 points with only 1:57 to go, but the Hawks never really seemed to grasp the offensive rhythm of the team that early on this season, sprinted to a 6-1 record. Their only previous loss was in double overtime to Prince George's.

But tonight, their shooting let them down. Lavar Robinson led Hagerstown with 13 points, while James Fowler had 12 points and seven rebounds. However, the Hawks cold hand, which was a chilling 37 percent from the floor in the first half, went into the deep freeze finishing at 34 percent for the game.

The Herald-Mail Articles