Advertisement

Burning trash ignites woods fire

November 24, 1998

Burning woodsBy KIMBERLY YAKOWSKI / Staff Writer

photo: JOE CROCETTA / staff photographer




SHARPSBURG - About 100 area firefighters worked to put out a brush fire that was sparked Monday when embers blew out of a trash barrel and ignited leaves.

Kevin Stevens, of 16932 Snyders Landing Road, said he was burning trash in the barrel when the woods behind his home caught fire at around 1:30 p.m.

"I tried to stomp on it to put it out. But I couldn't," he said.

Stevens said he sustained minor burns on his feet when the flames burned through his sandals.

A camper and two sheds he used for storage were gutted in the fire, Stevens said.

Stevens said the camper contained a friend's antique table, tools and his children's toys.

Firefighters contained the blaze at around 4 p.m., according to Shawn McCoy, assistant chief of the Sharpsburg Volunteer Fire Company.

McCoy said firefighters battled the blaze from three points: behind Steven's home, at Mose Circle and behind Powell and Mondell roads.

Advertisement

Department of Natural Resources officials brought a backloader to help clear brush, he said.

Dry conditions from lack of rain contributed to the spread of the fire, he said.

McCoy was unsure how many acres of land burned.

He said the fire was difficult to put out since it was at the top of a large hill and many of the roads firefighters had to travel were only one lane in sections.

McCoy said firefighters from Washington County and Jefferson County in West Virginia fought the blaze.




related story: Dry weather prompts burning bans in Tri-State area

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|