Wildcats warm up on South

November 12, 1998

Williamsport over SouthBy MIKE WOLFF / Staff Writer

photos: RIC DUGAN / staff photographer

WILLIAMSPORT - When the Williamsport Wildcats began the season, their goal was simple. Make it to the state championship and take home the title.

The Wildcats moved one step closer to their goal on Wednesday when they advanced to the 1A South final by dropping South Hagerstown 15-6, 15-4, 15-11.

--cont. from sports page--

Williamsport (15-1 and ranked No. 2 in the Herald-Mail poll) surpassed the point in which they were eliminated last season, when they lost in the regional semifinals to Smithsburg, the team they will face in Friday's final.


"It feels great to get further than we did last year," Williamsport coach Kristi Gee said, "Our goal when we started out was to get to the state championships, but to get past last year's point is great."

Williamsport came out of the gate slowly when it fell behind 5-0 in the first game. Rebels senior Kari Belin was unstoppable early, registering four kills to give South (7-10) the lead.

After Gee called a timeout, the Wildcats stormed back by winning the next 14 points. Junior Barb Spoonire led the way with six service points during the run. Senior Amy Spoonire chipped in with six kills during the game.

"We got talked to at the timeout. Coach told us, 'We better start playing or else,," junior Megan Bowman said. "After the talk we got it together, got our confidence back and took control of the match."

Lettie WilkesWilliamsport kept the momentum in the second game when it stormed out to a quick 9-2 lead and never looked back. Senior Lettie Wilkes supplied most of the offensive punch with three kills and five service points. Junior Tina McAllister added four kills in the one-sided second game.

South tried its best to stay in the match when they again jumped out to an early lead in the third game. The Rebels scored the first four points behind strong serving from Allison Wine and powerful kills from Belin.

But the Wildcats showed they did not want to extend the match, responding with seven points to take the lead.

After South clawed its way back to tie the score at 9-9, Williamsport went on another run and closed out the match.

"It wasn't quite what I had envisioned," Gee said. "We got off to a slow start because we weren't as pumped as on Monday night (when the Wildcats defeated Glenelg), but we came out and did what we needed to do. I told the girls we had to put this one behind us and move on to the next game."

Williamsport will travel to Smithsburg on Friday in a game where the winner will earn the right to represent the 1A South in the state semifinals.

The Herald-Mail Articles