Wildcats girls go on defensive to win in playoffs

November 04, 1998|By CURT HORNBECKER / Staff Correspondent

WILLIAMSPORT - John Weimer is probably very grateful for any temporary lapse of short-term memory suffered by his Williamsport girls soccer team Tuesday night.

He would have much preferred them recalling last season's heartbreaking loss in a driving rain storm at Catoctin in the opening round of the playoffs than the relatively easy 8-2 win over the Cougars just three weeks ago.

--cont. from sports page--

No matter what the incentive, Williamsport's defense stepped up to spark a 2-1 win over Catoctin in the Class 1A West quarterfinals.

"Give credit to our five defenders for this one," said Weimer. "Offensively, we didn't control it the way we wanted to, but the defense really stepped up, went to the ball, and came up strong for us."


Brooke Weimer scored the winning goal in the 11th minute of the second half when she scooted the ball past Cougars' goalkeeper Ginny Rowley on a Kaci Resau assist.

According to Catoctin coach Kathy Stinefelt, the Cougars (7-9) outplayed Williamsport (13-1-1), and accomplished everything they wanted to do except win the game.

"Our passing was excellent, and the way we moved the ball was exactly what we wanted," said Stinefelt. "We came in with a game plan, and that's the way they played."

Certainly in the first half, Catoctin appeared to have the upper hand, attempting four shots on goal to just two for the Wildcats. And still the Cougars' only score came on a fluke corner kick from Kelly Hinchcliff which fell untouched in front of the Williamsport goal before Mary Coulby tipped it in to tie the score at one in the 26th minute.

Coulby caused the Wildcats' coach the greatest concern.

"Anytime their midfielders get the ball, they can get it through to Mary, and she can fly," said Weimer. "That just didn't happen tonight."

The Cougars' score occurred only seconds after the Wildcats took a 1-0 lead on a Stephanie Ritchie goal from 25 yards out which sailed just over Rowley's reach.

A Sarah Wivell indirect kick in the 38th minute of the second period nearly forced the game into overtime, but the Cougars could only watch as the ball drifted above the cross bar.

The Herald-Mail Articles