Wildcats deal loss to Rebels

October 24, 1998|By Bill Sterner / Staff Correspondent

South Hagerstown football coach Greg Kellick remembers watching the old television program "Let's Make A Deal."

The gist of the show was to take a chance choosing what awaited behind one of three doors. Usually, a great gift could be had if you were lucky enough to make the right choice.

On Friday night at School Stadium, there was nothing appealing behind any of the doors for South. In a game where the Rebels successfully shut down the Wildcats' recently proficient passing offense, Williamsport's Adam Tournay rambled for 139 yards on 17 carries as the Wildcats stayed alive in the state playoff picture with a 34-8 win.

Tournay also rushed for four touchdowns, as Williamsport (5-3, 4-3 Monocacy Valley Athletic League) buried South in the second half, punching out 334 yards on the ground.


"Coach Kellick had a great defensive plan to stall our passing game," said Williamsport coach Eric Michael. "We were forced to go to the run."

And that was not a good thing for the Rebels, who have seen their ranks depleted by numerous injuries this season.

"We were in a catch-22," Kellick said. "Our staff decided we had to stop the pass first, but then they really hurt us on the ground."

Actually, the Wildcats ran the ball an equal amount of times in each half. However, they dominated the Rebels at the line of scrimmage as the game wore on. South (1-7, 1-6) also struggled on offense, finding out late in the week that tailback Jason Priecko would be unable to play.

That forced Kellick's staff to work over an already overworked offense that was facing one of the league's stingiest rush defenses.

"We prepare in a positive manner," Kellick said. "We improved in some areas over last week, but we still have work to do."

Williamsport scored first in a flash, going 63 yards in only five plays as Tournay busted off the right side to score from eight yards out. The Rebels ran only eight plays in a quarter and a half as the Wildcats built a 14-0 lead.

But South took advantage of an errant Williamsport snap for its lone score.

After a pass interference call moved the ball to the Wildcats 36, South quarterback Dominique Richmond rolled right and found Jeff Phiel at the 4. From there, Troy Butts scored the touchdown, but the rally was short lived.

The Wildcats limited the Rebels to 36 yards on the ground, while relying solely on their ground game in the second half, They added two more Tournay touchdowns in the third quarter, and Josh Robins finished the scoring with a 5-yard run late in the fourth quarter.

"We challenged our kids at halftime to take control of both sides of the line of scrimmage," Michael said. "They must have been listening."

The Herald-Mail Articles