'Roaders tie up North

October 17, 1998|By BOB PARASILITI

Football coaches get lost in all the Xs and Os, coverages and patterns that go into the game.

Sometimes, the game's most basic rule goes unnoticed.

"You can't win if you can't score points," North Hagerstown coach Glenn Cross offers.

Good point. With no points, football is pointless. And unfortunately for them, so were the Hubs on Friday.

Brunswick used its lumbering offense to cover up mistakes, grind out the clock and grind down the opposition as the Railroaders commuted to a 12-0 Monocacy Valley Athletic League victory to ruin North's homecoming festivities.

The Hubs did a formidable defensive job - particularly by lineman Kelly McNamee in the middle - to slow down Brunswick (5-2, 4-2). But the Railroaders threw everything but a boxcar and a caboose at the Hubs to move station to station on the strength of pitches to the perimeter.


"I don't know how many times we saw them run the same play," Cross said. "They just blocked it well. They executed better on a couple more series than we did and that was the difference in the game."

Brunswick and North went scoreless for the first 35 minutes, 59.4 seconds of the game. It took Jamere Burnett's fumble on the North 10 to get the Railroaders on track.

Jeremiah Summers, who finished with 128 yards on 21 carries, took the second play from scrimmage up the middle for a 10-yard touchdown run with .6 seconds remaining to break the scoreless tie.

"Basically, (North) fought us tough," Brunswick coach Mark Mitchell said. "We made mistakes in the first half. We didn't play very well, but we did what we needed to get the win."

North threatened to get the score back in the final six-tenths of a second as sophomore Nathan Henderson returned the ensuing kickoff to the Brunswick 6.

The Hubs opened the fourth quarter, losing seven yards in four plays before turning the ball over to the Railroaders on downs. Brunswick held North to 42 yards of offense, including a minus-25 yards in 15 plays in the second half. Brunswick rolled up 246 yards of offense, all but four on the ground.

"We got down there and then didn't block anyone for four plays," Cross said. "We have to get the ball in the end zone there. That cost us the game. After that, we were forced to throw and they got the interception."

North forced Brunswick to punt from deep in its territory, giving the Hubs a last chance to tie the game. But Burnett was intercepted by Wesley Rowh on the opening play of the possession.

Rowh scored from the 4 with 2:22 remaining to cap a nine-play, 33-yard drive that lasted 5:31 to ice the game.

The Herald-Mail Articles