Wildcat girls get physical to edge Gaels and win tournament

October 05, 1998

By MIKE WOLFF / Staff Writer

WILLIAMSPORT - The best thing that could have happened for the Williamsport girls soccer team was for its unproductive first half to come to an end on Saturday.

When Williamsport returned for the second half, it looked like a different team.

The Wildcats pulled themselves together to capture the Williamsport girls soccer tournament with a 2-1 overtime win against St. Maria Goretti.

Williamsport (7-0-1) won the game on sophomore midfielder Brooke Weimer's second goal of the game just 39 seconds into overtime. The winning shot was set up by Skyler Sanders, who hit Weimer with a pass from the touchline.


"It was a real physical game, and I thought we dominated the play," Weimer said. "We had to play harder, and we were able to do that. We deserved to win."

Goretti (8-4-1) opened the scoring in the 29th minute of the first half when senior midfielder Sarah Ryan headed in a pass from senior forward Allison Palank.

Goretti controlled the tempo throughout the first half, but the Wildcats came out in the second half and a more physical game to swing the momentum in their favor.

"I told the team at the half to take their time, look for the open teammate and work the ball up the field," Williamsport coach John Weimer said. "We could not beat fullback Erin Boyst, so we had to avoid playing too many long balls."

Boyst continually blasted shots out of Williamsport's offensive zone, which made first-half scoring chances tough to come by.

Coach Weimer's second-half strategy worked as scoring chances were much more frequent.

Williamsport tied the game in the seventh minute of the second half on Brooke Weimer's first goal. Weimer took Emily Shirk's pass, and shot the ball past goalkeeper Janet McCullough into the top left corner of the net.

"The game was played like it was in a back alley," John Weimer said, "It was a physical war like we expected coming in."

In the consolation game, freshman midfielder Mallory Tsetsilas supplied all the offense South Hagerstown needed. South (3-5-0) defeated Hedgesville 2-0 to take third place in the tournament.

Tsetsilas scored in the 22nd minute of the first half, and she iced the game on a breakaway goal in the 30th minute of the second half.

"We started playing better in the second half of yesterday's game (which they lost 6-3 to Goretti), and we continued to play well today," South coach Bruce Buhrman said, "The defense worked well together, and the goalkeeper (Ashley Mullican) did what she had to do."

Mullican made a diving save in the 36th minute of the first half to preserve the shutout. She stopped 15 shots overall.

Hedgesville (2-10-1) had its chances asit outshot South, 21-9. But it was unable to finish as it got close to the net.

"We played a lot better today than we did last night," Hedgesville coach Sonny Tippett said, "We have to work on finishing and placing our shots better."

The Herald-Mail Articles