Man charged in trail rape held for trial

September 24, 1998

Terry BooseBy DON AINES / Staff Writer, Chambersburg

photo: KEVIN G. GILBERT / staff photographer

WAYNESBORO, Pa. - A woman raped on the Appalachian Trail in June testified Thursday she could not positively identify her assailant because he wore a T-shirt over his head during the attack.

The woman did identify Terry Alvin Boose as a man she met on the trail shortly before the June 3 attack.

Following the preliminary hearing, District Justice Larry Pentz ordered Boose held for trial on charges of rape, involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, aggravated indecent assault and simple assault.


Boose, 33, no fixed address, is being held in Franklin County Prison and is scheduled for mandatory arraignment in court on Nov. 11.

The woman said she was going up a steep section of trail in Quincy Township, Pa., when she turned around and saw "a man with a shirt over his head and a stick in his hand."

"Get over there. You know what I want," the man told her, according to her testimony.

The woman screamed for help and he hit her across the side with the stick, she testified. When she screamed again, he hit her with his fist and choked her, she said. He stopped when she agreed not to scream anymore.

"Being unable to run or fight, I did what he said," she testified. The man led her off the trail and forced her to have sex, she said.

During the assault, she said he told her he had "a couple" of children and a wife who left him while he was in prison.

"He said he had been released from jail two weeks before that day," the woman said.

"I guess I'm the man Karen always said I was," the man said, apparently referring to his wife.

After the rape, he allowed her to continue north on the trail while he went south. She found her way to a road and flagged down a passing motorist.

The woman is from out of state, but said she'd hiked the area before. She was on her third day of hiking when she left that morning from Pen Mar State Park near Waynesboro.

At about 1 p.m., she stopped at the Antietam Shelter, "a rundown, three-sided shack" off Old Forge Road. She bathed in a stream and was lying on a picnic table when a man passed by.

A short time later, the same man returned and offered her a beer, which she declined. She said he wore a white T-shirt, blue jeans and work boots and had long, reddish hair.

At the hearing, Boose's hair was cut short and he was noticeably balding.

She continued north and made an entry in the ledger at the Tumbling Run Shelter. "I made sure I wrote down I was going north because I was worried," she said.

The woman identified Boose as the man she saw at the shelter.

Asked by Assistant Public Defender Nancy Meyers if she could positively identify him as the rapist, she said, "Absolutely positive? No."

Trooper Roger Hall said that after Boose's June 9 arrest, he admitted to raping the woman. Under cross-examination by Public Defender Robert J. Trambley, however, Hall said he believed the troopers who interviewed Boose did not get the admission of rape on a taped statement.

Hall said the woman also failed to pick Boose out from a photo lineup.

After the hearing, Hall said Boose had been released from a prison shortly before the rape. As to whether he had a wife named Karen, or children, he said, "We're still checking that out."

Trambley said a live lineup was later held, but he declined to say if the woman identified Boose.

Assistant District Attorney David Rahauser, the defense attorneys and police all declined to comment when asked if there was DNA evidence linking Boose to the attack.

Over Rahauser's objection, Pentz dismissed a charge of aggravated assault because of lack of evidence. The woman was treated and released from Chambersburg (Pa.) Hospital after the rape.

On June 8, a state trooper stopped Boose as he was bicycling along Pa. 34 near Mount Holly Springs in Cumberland County, Pa. When the trooper discovered he was wanted on theft and criminal mischief charges in Adams County, Pa., Boose fled on foot. He was found the next day in an orchard in South Middletown Township in Cumberland County.

Two women at the hearing said they were Boose's sisters, but declined to answer any questions.

The Herald-Mail Articles