Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: HeraldMail HomeCollectionsWva

Child electrocuted in W.Va.

September 22, 1998

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - A 4-year-old boy was electrocuted Sunday when he came in contact with a live wire while playing outside a neighbor's trailer at Rocky Glen Trailer Park, according to West Virginia State Police.

The boy, John C. Styer, was playing with his sister when the accident happened at around 4:30 p.m., said Trooper V.J. Gall.

The girl ran in to get the neighbor, Gall said.

When they came out, the boy was unresponsive, and an ambulance was called, he said.

The boy, who never regained consciousness, was pronounced dead at City Hospital in Martinsburg, Gall said.

The county medical examiner determined the cause of death to be electrocution, Gall said.

Evidence included a burn mark on the boy's leg where the current went through him, he said.

Though police are treating the death as an accident, an investigation into how the youngster was electrocuted was continuing, Gall said.

Advertisement

John Styer was the son of John "Jay" Charles Styer and Sabrina Carbaugh Styer of Martinsburg.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|