Rebels dancing in place

September 06, 1998|By BILL STERNER / Staff Correspondent

"...and its hard to say, just why some things never change

and its hard to find that one place to draw the line..."

-The Pointer Sisters' "Neutron Dance"

South Hagerstown football coach Greg Kellick feels like his Rebels are caught in the lyrics of that dance tune from the 1980's. Over the last few seasons, South plays just about everyone well enough to win.

Although they have experienced success, there have been enough close games that have gone the other way to cause Kellick to wonder when the familiar lyrics will stop writing the ending to yet another frustrating evening.

In their opener at School Stadium on Saturday, the Rebels spotted the Archbishop Curley Friars a 13-point lead late in the game before roaring back, but finally succumbing, 21-17.


"We simply made too many mistakes," Kellick said of a South offense that ended the evening by giving up three second-half interceptions and two fumbles that, although they recovered, severely hampered key drives. "But, on the bright side, we ran hard and hit well. And, those mistakes we made are correctable."

The Rebs started by pushing Curley back on its heels. A fumbled Friar lateral was returned by Troy Butts to the 5-yard line, but South squandered the opportunity and came away with nothing as a field goal attempt sailed wide.

The next time the Rebs touched the ball, quarterback Dustin Short hit fleet-footed Dominique Richmond on a perfect waggle pass for 56 yards and a touchdown. Jeff Phiel added the two-point conversion and the Rebels jumped up 8-0.

The Friars would mount two straight possessions that would eat up most of the first half, but would come up empty on the scoreboard.

Would this be the time those "things" would change? Not so fast.

Following a short punt by the Rebels, the Friars found themselves with a fourth down and ensuing field goal attempt. A bobbled snap turned into a touchdown for Curley and although they wouldn't take the lead until the second half, the Friars' size advantage up front was already taking its toll. Curley took off with two second-half touchdowns, highlighting drives that each had over 16 plays and used a combined 16 minutes.

"We felt the key was to control the ball with our backs," Curley coach Sean Murphy said. "We gained confidence from those long drives."

Jason Priecko scored South's second touchdown in the fourth quarter racing 58 yards down the left sideline. Priecko finished the game with 109 yards.

The Herald-Mail Articles