Advertisement

Chinese restaurant damaged in fire

August 25, 1998|By DON AINES

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - Faulty wiring to an exit sign was the apparent cause of a fire that heavily damaged a Chinese restaurant early Monday, according to Chambersburg Fire Chief Allen W. Baldwin.

Baldwin said there was heavy fire damage to the second floor of the Golden China Chinese Restaurant, 1071 Lincoln Way East. He said there also was extensive smoke and water damage to the first floor.

"It was basically gutted," Baldwin said of the second floor. He had no dollar estimate on the damage.

Owner Kung Yoa Lai said it may take three or four months to repair the damage. He said he has owned the restaurant for about five years.

The first units arrived two minutes after the fire was called in at 1:57 a.m., according to Baldwin. It took about 25 minutes to bring the fire under control, but firefighters were on the scene until about 7 a.m., he said.

Advertisement

Baldwin said the fire started in the space between the first and second floors in wiring leading to an exit sign.

Three firefighters and a fire policeman were treated and released from Chambersburg Hospital, he said. One firefighter suffered burns to his face and neck, another had heat exhaustion and the third experienced problems from a pre-existing medical condition.

The fire policeman suffered an abrasion to his leg, according to Baldwin. All four later returned to the fire scene.

Baldwin said firefighters from the Waynesboro Fire Department, and the Franklin, West End Shippensburg, Fayetteville, St. Thomas, Pleasant Hall and New Franklin volunteer fire companies responded to the fire. Ambulances from Greencastle, Pa., and Mont Alto, Pa., also were called to the scene, he said.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|