M. Kinser tops Outlaws

August 03, 1998|By MIKE SIRBAUGH / Staff Correspondent

It was Mark Kinser's race all the way.

Kinser started on the outside pole position and jumped quickly to the lead on the first lap in his flag-to-flag victory in the Pennziol World of Outlaws Sprint Car Series race Saturday night at Hagerstown Speedway.

By the time he crossed the finish line, he had a quarter-mile lead over Sammy Swindell.

The quick start was actually Kinser's second attempt to take the early lead. His first try was negated as the race got off to a shaky start. Five cars tangled on the first lap coming out of turn 2, flipping Johnny Herrera upside down and ending the night for him and Joe Gaerte. Jeff Shepard, Paul McMahan and Steve Kinser were also involved but were able to continue.

Steve Kinser never stopped. But he sustained front-end damage that his crew had to time to repair while the clean-up crews righted Herrera and cleaned up the mess on the track.


On the restart, Mark Kinser looked like a man determined to avoid that kind of trouble, shooting outside of pole sitter Jac "Wild Child" Haudenschild in turn 1 and sliding quickly in front of him on the second turn.

Mark Kinser opened a comfortable lead, even as he maneuvered his way through lapped traffic, and picked up his eighth win of the year on the circuit.

"We got a little slow there at the end," Mark Kinser said. "I started catching up to Donnie Schatz, and then he started to outrun me and I was worried that the second-place car was catching up. But it's a good win. It's nice to beat the best at one of the nation's best racetracks."

In the time trials, Swindell set the fastest time with a lap of 15.650 seconds on the half-mile oval. Kevin Gobrecht won the B-Main feature, which gave those who didn't qualify in the heat races a second chance.

Haudenschild won the five-lap Channellock Dash, pitting the eight fastest times against each other to determine starting position.

In the late model feature, Hagerstown Speedway's all-time career victory leader, Rodney Franklin, added to his total, giving him 12 wins for the season. He is closing in on another record, 15 wins in a season.

Franklin showed why he is the premier regular driver at the local track.

Roy Deese had the outside pole position and burst ahead of inside pole-sitter Ernie Davis on the first lap. Deese opened a five-car- length lead, until Franklin worked his way through the field from 12th.

Franklin made his way to fifth by lap 9, and on lap 12, he entered turn 3 seeing a slight gap between Charlie Schaffer and Davis. He shot between them as they came out of turn 4 to take second.

A yellow flag on lap 14 gave Franklin an opportunity to close the gap on Deese and, on the restart, the two drove side-by-side until Franklin edged ahead as they approached the flagstand on the front straightaway. Franklin stretched his lead to six car lengths.

until a caution on lap 24 gave Deese one last opportunity.

"That was a good race," Franklin said. "The car was working real well. The track was a little slick."

"I was beginning to wonder if I was going to be able to get up there for awhile. I didn't know what that last caution was for and that made it real interesting for the last 2 laps."

"Since the beginning of July we've been thinking championship and just planned to finish every race. We've already dropped out of two and can't afford to drop out of any more."

Deese finished second, followed by Kevin Denton, Nathan Durboraw and Frankie Plessinger.

The Herald-Mail Articles